Thursday, May 29, 2014
Ugly visit
Christopher McDougall in his national best seller Born To Run describes his first encounter with a Tarahumaran. Their encounter does not go too well as McDougall does not know the proper etiquette. The Tarahumaran, Arnulfo Quimare fulfills his social obligation and provides the passer-by with refreshments and finds them a shady spot for recovery. However, Arnulfo did not wish to entertain his guests. McDougall was excited to meet a person for the legendary tribe and he started to interview Arnulfo. He was rewarded with silence. Arnulfo instead of joining the interview peacefully continues eating his limes. This awkward encounter closely reminds me of my aunts visit. During that visit I felt exactly like Arnulfo with my aunt being McDougall. First we sat down at the table with some snacks and refreshments. The beginning was quite nice, however soon my aunts excitement took over and she started bombarding me with questions. At that point I felt as I have fulfilled my social obligation and spent some quality time with my aunt. However, I have never signed up for an interview about my life, which I do not want to discuss. The two events are really closely related and I am surprised that I have found such close connection to my life in this book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very nice post! I once had the same encounter with my aunt as well.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you titled this post "Ugly Visit". It really attracts others attention.
ReplyDeleteI think its interesting that you may be more inclined to empathize with Arnulfo than with MacDougall in this passage. The POV is MacDougall's but a major piece of his argument is the reader's ability to understand the Tarahumara. If you're able to do that, you're half-way home.
ReplyDelete